Monday, September 26, 2011

The first rule of football

WEEK 3
I take the blame for this loss. The first rule of football-watching is if your team is winning big you don't leave where you are watching the game. I broke that rule.

My 10-year old 37'' not flat-screen, not HD, not plasma TV died. Finally. I watched a lot of great football (and "The Wire") on that TV. I didn't have time to get a replacement (check in next week on that) so I was watching the Pats trounce the Bills on my 15'' (you read that right) screen that we sometimes bring to the tailgate. I had to go over my parents' house to fix a few things -- and they have a 37'' screen -- so I got in my car late in the first half. While I was driving over the Bills put up 10 points. And then things just got worse.

I scanned back through the Pats scores of the past decade to see if I could find a game where the team blew a 21-0 lead with Brady as the QB. The only one I could find was that little AFC title game at Indy in '06. That one was a lot tougher to take.

WES: King Rat
The Pats started this game playing like a machine. Considering they were without Koppen, Vollmer, Hernandez, Dowling, Haynesworth, Wright, and (most importantly) Pat Chung, it was impressive. Brady and the offense took the opening kickoff and drove 80 yards in nine plays in the face of a fired-up Bills crowd. Brady and Welker capped the drive, connecting on a 14-yard TD pass. It was the start of a record day for Welker. He finished with 16 catches for 217 yards. It was more than enough to give my fantasy football team (Rozzie Rats) its first victory. But not quite enough to prevent the Pats from their first loss.

The Pats D then picked off Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (deflection to Arrington), giving Brady the ball at the Buffalo 35. Six plays later Brady hit Gronk for the first of his two TD catches and the Pats were up 14-0 and the fire in the Bills fans was snuffed out. Just like that. Arrington picked off Fitzpatrick on the next drive as well, nicely cutting in front of the receiver on a fourth-down play. Brady hit Gronk for another touchdown midway through the second quarter and the 2-0 Pats were dominating the 2-0 Bills 21-0. The Pats looked unstoppable. All seemed right with the world.

And then things started to go wrong. And often. While I was in my car, the Bills put together a big seven-play touchdown drive to stop the Pats momentum, cutting the score to 21-7. Brady then threw the first of his four interceptions. And like all the others, it was just a tough break more than a bad play by #12. Brady threw the ball into the flat for Woodhead at the Buffalo 10-yard line but he couldn't grab it and instead tipped it into the air as he fell and the defensive back made a great play to dive and get the ball. Turnover #1.

The Bills drove from their own 10 to the Pats' 24 in the last minute and  kicked a field goal. What could have been a 28-7 halftime lead was instead 21-10 with the Bills getting the ball to start the third quarter. It was a Patriot-like drive. But the Bills couldn't do anything with the ball to start the second half and had to punt. Brady got the ball at the Pats 43 with a chance to put some crucial points on the board. One play later the Bills had their second interception and the comeback was on. Like that AFC title game a few years back it was a fun game to watch. Back and forth. Like that game, it ended with the Pats coming up short.

It's a big win for Buffalo. They beat the Pats for the first time in forever. Move to 3-0 and sole possession of the AFC East lead thanks to the Jets also losing. I was actually happy for Bills fans. They have had a bad team for a long time. But 3-0 in September doesn't mean that much. There's a lot of football left. I seem to remember the Jets beating the Pats early last season. The Pats still won the division easily.

I'll avoid the Sports Blabosphere for most of this week.They'll be all over Ochocinco. And the defense. Deservedly so. Both looked shaky. I got a brief taste of it last night and heard Felger utter this line: "This game proves that if Tom Brady is not having a great game then this team is in trouble." The game proved nothing of the kind.

It proved the first rule of football playing. If you turn the ball over four times -- especially on the road -- then you are probably going to lose. Take away those fluky turnovers and the Pats win easily.

I don't think the Pats will make that many mistakes in a game again. I know I won't make the mistake of getting in my car with the Pats up 21-0.

Those are the first rules of football.


No comments: