Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Free-for-all



"Football is back," says the clueless commissioner.

Wow. It sure took them a long time to figure out how to divvy up $9 billion. I guess that's a lot tougher than it sounds. Being active in the unions at the newspapers I've worked at and having been part of contract negotiations where we were trying to divvy up nothing or less than that, I could go on about how today's players -- like yesterday's players and the day-before-that's players -- did very little to help past and future players and how the owners and Goodell did nothing to help the ticket and T-shirt buying fans (I'll still be paying $175 to watch practice games) ... but screw it. I watch the NFL to distract me from that kind of nonsense. It's over. The fall will be fun. Especially since Belichick, Brady, and the Pats are coming off a 14-2 season and are due to win a playoff game. I mean really due.

Pats camp starts Thursday. I can't wait to see the video from the first practice to get a look at our new offensive lineman.

Free agency starts the day after that. I can't wait to see who Belichick is prepared to add to the roster. A pass rusher maybe? Please. Usually free agency is pretty much completed before the NFL draft. This year, thanks to the lockout, things are reversed. So the Pats roster may look very different in a few days. Or not. We'll have to see how deep the Pats want to dive in the free agency free-for-all.

If they do, there are several interesting possibilities. Linebacker Paul Posluszny of the Bills would really strengthen the middle of the defense. On offense the Pats could at once strengthen themselves and weaken the Jets by grabbing one of their key wide receivers. (But please, no T.O.) A month's worth of free agent fun packed into a few days. Should be entertaining. As will be the 2011 season. Now that they figured out what to do with that $9B.

There's another big financial decision going on in this country, of course. In Washington. And a little more important. I've only got one thing to say about that.

Pats season starts in Miami on September 12th on Monday Night Football.

I can hear Hank Jr. now...


No comments: