Friday, February 10, 2012

Reading material

It's the final installment of reading material. If only all the stories I've read since last Sunday were about a historic fourth Pats' Super Bowl title, and the team winning it for Myra, and a parade -- instead of another last-second defeat. If only.

Despite the subject matter, there were several good columns. Some advised that I stop looking back at the car wreck. Others advised that I start looking ahead. Both good advice.
  • ESPNBoston's Jackie MacMullan (still sounds weird) wrote a great piece asking for a big "calm down." I sometimes forget just how great a writer MacMullan is. 
  • The Herald's Ron Borges (that still sounds fitting) is someone I make myself read every now and then. It's like taking medicine. Sometimes you have to fill that little cup and drink that vile red liquid no matter how much you don't want to. Borges is a great writer, as knowledgeable about football as any sportswriter .. it's just that his take on the Pats is so often slanted to the "I told you they wouldn't win again" angle that it's just not worth it. But it's worth reading a post-mortem from the Borges's persective.
  • The Globe's Greg Bedard has the same view of the fateful Brady-to-Welker pass that I do. It was way more a bad pass than it was a missed catch.
  • But that's enough about THAT game... On ESPN.com, Mel "The Hair" Kiper has updated his mock draft for the second of what will be 183 times. His 2.0 version has the Pats using both their first-round picks (I'll believe it when I see it) and taking outside linebacker Vinny Curry from Marshall and D lineman Kendell Reyes from UConn. I love the Curry pick. He is a versatile athlete who can get after the quarterback from anywhere on the field. With that second pick I'm hoping cornerback Janoris Jenkins slips down to them. If not him, then maybe safety Harrison Smith from Notre Dame. Secondary help is primary.
  • On NFL.com, there are several mock drafts up already. Charlie Casserly -- who Belichick hates -- takes two shots at the GM for always trading out of the first round while projecting that the Pats might take Alabama safety Mark Barron and Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower (great name). Two Tide players courtesy of Nick Saban? Sounds good to me. Two of the other "experts" have the Pats taking LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers. He's 6-6, 300 pounds. He would look good next to Big Vince.
The draft begins with first-round picks on April 26, a Thursday night. The Patriots -- at the moment -- hold the 27th and 31st selections. The rich get richer. I may not be a card-carrying member of the one percent, but I enjoy rooting for a football team that is.



No comments: